Those longing for fresh air and breathtaking natural scenery will find Hurricane Creek Park to be an ideal destination.
The large park, located just off Highway 31 in South Vinemont, is nestled in a 500-foot-deep canyon in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains called Hurricane Creek Gorge. Visitors can spend the day trekking or bird watching along the four miles of designated hiking trails that wind through the lush woods, unique rock formations and cliff sides of the gorge. Notable locations in the park that were formed by the weathering of natural rock include Twilight Tunnel, the Stairway to Heaven, and Dead Man’s Squeeze. Speaking of rock formations, rock climbing is another widely popular activity in the park. Climbers will find ample opportunities to scale the park’s dozens of climbing faces. There are also picnic tables in an open area near the main creek for those who packed a lunch or simply wish to take a break. Pets are allowed to accompany visitors but must be kept on a leash. No rangers are on site, so visitors are advised to exercise caution while utilizing the facility.
The park is open daily from sunrise to sunset, and admission is free.
Please Observe the Following Rules and Regulations:
- Suggested trail hours are sunrise-to-sunset.
- This trail is a moderate 3.5-mile hike with some difficult climbs.
- You are responsible for your own safety, so enter at your own risk; rescues are costly and time-consuming.
- No park rangers or attendees are on-site; prepare for the inherent risks of using the trail.
- For all emergencies, dial 911.
- Removal of any plant or animal life from the park is prohibited.
- Hunting of any wildlife within the park is prohibited.
- Damaging, removing, or altering wildlife habitats (such as bird nests, roosting areas, dens, etc.) is prohibited.
- Camping within the park without written permission of the Cullman City Parks & Recreation Department is prohibited.
- Fires anywhere within the park are prohibited.
- Pets must be restrained by a leash when using this trail.
For additional information, contact Cullman Parks, Recreation, & Sports Tourism at (256) 735-9157.
HURRICANE CREEK PARK
22600 US Hwy 31 North
Vinemont, AL 35179